Dear Valuable IEEE Members,
As you may know, the IEEE Day is approaching and there is an opportunity for you to participate, have fun, be creative and win prizes!
IEEE Day (http://www.ieeeday.org/) is celebrating the first time in history when engineers worldwide and IEEE members gathered to share their technical ideas in 1884. One of the IEEE Day’s objectives is to show the ways thousands of IEEE members in local communities join together to collaborate on ideas that leverage technology for a better tomorrow. We celebrate IEEE members!
IEEE Day is officially always celebrated on the first Tuesday in October which is October 2nd this year. Celebrations are planned for the first 2 weeks of October from the 1st till the 14th of October 2018!
You can celebrate IEEE Day in many ways! Here are some ideas:
- Share your professional experiences by visiting a local elementary school and holding a science, technology, engineering, or math presentation or discussion.
- Share why you became an engineer and what makes engineering cool for boys and girls!
- Collaborate with your local Section and Student Branch(es) to organize an event at a local university. Participate by being one of the technical experts and discuss how IEEE helped you during your career. You can also consider becoming a mentor.
- Hold a humanitarian event in your local community. You can check out the different IEEE Foundation programs!
- Work with your local Section to organize a Senior Member event and serve as a reference for those looking into Senior Membership.
- If you have any special ideas you think are worth publishing on this list, please don't hesitate to reach out to us on the Contact Us page!
The event/celebration you plan to run needs to be registered using the electronic form available at http://www.ieeeday.org/ .
The Section can assist with some funding (although it will be limited to R500 for most cases, except if your ideas and impact really impress us). Please also provide us with a copy of the registration form.
The detailed information, answers to frequent questions, and ideas etc. may be found at the site http://www.ieeeday.org/ .
Some of useful resources (from the same web site):
There are Picture and vdeo contests with prizes. Please see for example http://www.ieeeday.org/videos/ for ideas (e.g. the 2nd, 4th and 5th videos give lots of ideas).
You may recommend your professional colleague to join IEEE (http://www.ieee.org/join) between 30 September and 6 October 2018 and receive US $30 off your first-year membership for 2019! (NB! for New Professionals only, Not for Student Membership).
Not a member? Join now and get $30 off using promo code IEEEDAY18
Reinstate and save using promo code IEEEDAY18R
Please note: Applies to professional members only
The organizing committee for 2018 IEEE Day South Africa
David Temitope Oyedokun, Michael Tarerefa, Craig Plaatjes, and Albert Lysko