The IEEE South Africa Joint AP/MTT/EMC Chapter was the very first Chapter in South African IEEE Section. The IEEE South Africa Section was established in 1977, and the Chapter in 1986. The Chapter came to the present form, i.e. to include EMC, in 2011.
Chapter leadership (2019-2020):
Chair: Dr PG (Gideon) Wiid (wiidg AT sun.ac.za)
Vice Chair for AP: Dr Carlo van Niekerk - cvanniekerk AT sun.ac.za)
Vice Chair for MTT: Prof Tinus Stander (tinus.stander AT up.ac.za)
Past Chair: Prof. Dirk de Villiers, SMIEEE (ddv AT sun.ac.za)
Chapter leadership (2017-2018):
- Chair: Prof. Dirk de Villiers, SMIEEE (ddv AT sun.ac.za)
- Vice Chair for MTT: Prof. Riana Geschke, SMIEEE (riana.geschke AT uct.ac.za)
- Vice Chair for EMC: Dr PG (Gideon) Wiid, MIEEE (wiidg AT sun.ac.za)
- Treasurer: Dr Tinus Stander, SMIEEE, (tinus.stander AT ieee.org)
We hosted a very successful biennial chapter conference again in 2016, with 35 invited speakers and more than 120 attendees. A brief introduction for the conference will be found here: ieee_in_rsa_history_ver4_.pdf . Some historical overviews relevant to the chapter may also be found at IEEE , IEEE and Aardvark.
The next conference will take place in 2018.
The Chapter has official IEEE references: CH08019, AP03/MTT17/EMC27, R80041.
Past Chairs of the Chapter (Name and Term)
- Johannes A Malherbe 01-Apr-86 31-Dec-87
- Derek A Mcnamara 01-Oct-1987 31-Dec-1988
- Carl W Pistorius 01-Jan-1989 28-Feb-1991
- Adriaan J Booysen 01-Mar-91 28-Feb-93
- Barend J.E. Taute 01-Mar-93 28-Feb-95
- David B. Davidson 01-Mar-95 28-Feb-99
- Johan Joubert 01-Mar-99 31-Dec-04
- Pieter Van Der Walt 01-Jan-05 31-Dec-07
- Riana Geschke 01-Apr-09 23-Jan-13
- Albert Lysko 23-Jan-13 29-Jan-15
- Tinus Stander 30-Jan-15 31-Dec-2016
- Dirk de Villers 1-Jan-17 31-Dec-2018
Dr PG (Gideon) Wiid 1-Jan-2019 to now (current)