2019-02-06: Renewals, Upcoming Events, and Updated List of Conferences and more
Following the last newsletter (http://www.ieee.org.za/summary-report-ieee-south-africa-section-2018), here are some updates.
Renewal of membership
- Please remember to renew your IEEE membership (at https://www.ieee.org/membership/renew.html or https://www.ieee.org/join ) as the deadline of 22 February 2019 is approaching soon. You can renew using credit card (the fastest way), via EFT transfer or via your local student branch (only for students from respective universities). Please see details at http://www.ieee.org.za/joiningrenewing-ieee-south-africa-options-discounts .
- 2019 IEEE 5G Summit Pretoria, to be held at the University of Pretoria, Pretoria on the 6th May 2019: http://www.5gsummit.org/pretoria/ (more information will be available soon).
- Talk “How to prepare workers for Digital Transformation in the 4IR: Experiences from Europe” (Speaker: Prof. Norbert GRONAU) to be held at the Engineering I Building (University of Pretoria), Exhibition Center, Lynnwood Road, Pretoria on Monday, 18 February 2019 from 3.30pm – 4.30pm. Cost: Free for Registered attendees. To register: https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/190328 .
- Abstract: The Digital transformation, caused by the Industrial Internet of things and often named the Fourth Industrial Revolution will change workplaces and business processes. Workers and enterprises have to prepare themselves for meeting new challenges but also new opportunities. Additionally, new qualifications are needed. Experimental research shows that immersive work environments are very suitable to train workers for new requirements. This talk will explain the changes in the workplace and introduce a lab-oriented training approach which holds some promises for the smooth preparation of workers for the age of digital processes.
Upcoming conferences (http://ieee.org.za/ieee-supported-conferences-south-africa-2019):
- 2019 IEEE 10th International Conference on Mechanical and Intelligent Manufacturing Technologies (ICMIMT), Cape Town, 15 - 17 February 2019: http://www.mimt.us/ .
- 2019 Conference on Information Communications Technology and Society (ICTAS), Durban, 6 - 8 March 2019. http://www.ictas2019.com/
- The event is said to being registered for ECSA CPD.
- 2019 International Conference on the Domestic Use of Energy (DUE), Cape Town, 25 - 27 March 2019: http://energyuse.org.za/due/
Upcoming conferences with submissions still open (excluding conferences whose applications are still in review by IEEE):
- 2019 International Conference on Advances in Big Data, Computing and Data Communication Systems (icABCD), Drakensberg Sun Resort, Winterton, 5 - 6 August 2019 . http://icabcd.org/ . Extended paper submission deadline：28 February 2019.
- Being registered for ECSA CPD.
- 2019 International Multidisciplinary Information Technology and Engineering Conference (IMITEC), Vanderbijlpark, 21 - 22 November 2019: http://www.vut.ac.za/imitec2019/ . Paper submission deadline: 30 April 2019.
- 2020 IEEE 23rd International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION), Rustenburg, 6 - 9 July 2020 https://www.aconf.org/conf_165280.html
More details may be found at here.
Grants for low income students to attend any of these or other (incl. international) conferences:
- IEEE R8 VCF Grants to attend IEEE conferences for low income students (https://ieeer8.org/category/voluntary-contribution-fund/).
Information for conference organizers
- Please note that if you would like to organize an IEEE-supported conference, please start and prepare your submission at least a year before the conference.
- More information may be found at http://www.ieee.org.za/organizing-ieee-sponsored-conferences-south-africa
Thank you for your loyal support.